Are you experiencing frequent morning headaches?
Chronic headaches can become debilitating and affect the quality of your life. If you are experiencing headaches that can not be relieved, it is important to seek medical attention. Headaches and facial pain are often related to oral health concerns that can be addressed by our dentist in Baltimore, MD. Dr. Byron Desbordes provides comprehensive and personalized treatment for the relief of headaches and facial pain.
What causes chronic headaches and facial pain?
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ & TMD)
- Teeth Grinding
- Misaligned Bite
- Unstable Bite
- Crooked Teeth
Chronic headaches and facial pain are often related to issues concerning your Temporomandibular Joint, or TMD. TMD can be can be caused by grinding or clenching of the teeth. This constant grinding motion causes stress on the jaw bone and muscles and may lead to chronic headaches and facial pain. Teeth grinding not only creates tension headaches, it can also cause damage to your teeth and may deteriorate your oral health.
Do you have crooked teeth? Misaligned bites and crooked teeth can actually cause tension headaches. Dr. Desbordes can help you stabilize your bite to relieve muscle tension through a combination of cosmetic and restorative procedures. If orthodontic treatment is necessary to realign your bite Dr. Desbordes will help you coordinator with a local orthodontist.
How can I treat my chronic headaches?
Our Windsor Mill, MD dentist office provides patients with strong oral foundations for healthy and stable smiles. Dr. Desbordes provides restorative procedures to realign and stabilize the bite to relieve tension headaches. Splint therapy or an oral sleep device can be used to help relieve teeth grinding while sleeping. Oral sleep devices are much like sports mouthguards. The custom fit device is fabricated to help bring alignment to your jaw during sleep to keep the teeth from grinding. The oral sleep appliance also helps to protect your teeth from further damage associated with prolonged grinding.
- Restorative Procedures: Treatments like tooth contouring and dental crowns can reshape your bite pattern to allow for better air flow when sleeping.
- Oral Sleep Device: A sleep appliance like a night guard can shift your jaw positioning without the need for invasive procedures. This is usually reserved for the more mild to moderate cases.
- Cosmetic Treatments: Procedures such as Invisalign can be used to permanently shift teeth to realign the position of your bite. This can help correct underbites and open-bites, some of the common causes of snoring and sleep apnea.
- Splint Therapy: Dental splints and oral sleep appliances go hand in hand. The main difference is that they have multiple steps and need more adjustments than a standard oral appliance.
Schedule An Appointment
If you are experiencing chronic headaches or facial pain contact our Windsor Mill, MD dentist office. Dr. Desbordes welcomes new patients of all ages. We can help you to restore, enhance or maintain a healthy smile with general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry in Baltimore MD. We proudly serve the Greater Baltimore area including Woodlawn and Owning Mills. Contact us at (410) 216-4023 or request an appointment online.