Dental cavities, or caries, are a dental health concern that affects patients of all ages. Most patients will experience tooth decay at some point in their lives. Baltimore, MD dentist Dr. Byron Desbordes provides preventative and restorative dental care for the treatment of dental cavities.
What Causes Cavities?
Tooth decay is commonly caused by a reaction between sugar and plaque buildup that erodes tooth enamel. As the enamel wears away, the tooth is susceptible to infection causing the cavity. Patients who do not brush and floss well, who smoke, or who eat diets high in sugar are more susceptible to developing tooth decay.
Symptoms of Tooth Decay
- Tooth sensitivity
- Pain when eating hot or cold foods and beverages
- Visible holes in teeth
- Inflammation or infection of gums around the tooth
Tooth Cavity Treatments
- Composite Dental Fillings: A cosmetic alternative to metal fillings that will leave your fillings unnoticeable to the untrained eye.
- Inlay & Onlays: If tooth decay is too severe for a regular dental filling, but not severe enough for a root canal and dental crown.
- Metal Fillings: Your standard, economical option for addressing tooth decay.
- Root Canal: For those with severe tooth infections and decay, we offer painless root canals. We will do our best to save as much as your natural tooth as possible. We will also place a dental crown to protect it for years to come.
- Tooth Extraction: If your tooth decay is deemed too severe to be able to save the tooth, we will recommend a tooth extraction to protect your gums and the rest of your teeth.
Treatment for your cavity will depend on the progression of the infected tooth. If caught early, cavities can be treated with dental fillings. Dental fillings have long been the solution for treating cavities and continue to be the dentistry standard. Dr. Desbordes provides composite dental fillings for their safety and natural appearance. Composite dental fillings can be color matched to your natural teeth for a seamless and beautiful appearance. Traditional metal fillings are available for a range of budgets. We also offer Inlay & Onlays, root canals, and tooth extractions. Dr. Desbordes will conduct a thorough oral health exam to determine the appropriate treatment needed to restore the health and function to your smile.
Inlay & Onlays
Whenever possible, Dr. Desbordes recommends treating dental cavities with an inlay or Onlay. Inlay & Onlays are highly durable and form a solid seal over the infected area. Inlays & Onlays are highly resistant to future decay and can last for many years. The Inlay or Onlay will be custom designed and fabricated by our local dental lab to custom fit your smile for natural looking results.
Prevent Cavities with a Dental Visit
The best way to prevent the development of dental cavities is through diligent preventive oral hygiene, and visiting your dentist at least twice a year. Brushing and flossing twice a day is essential to keep your teeth clean and remove plaque build up. Visiting Dr. Desbordes in Baltimore twice a year for dental cleanings and oral health exams can help keep teeth clean. Prevent the need for advanced dental restorations such as tooth extractions by scheduling a visit with Dr. Desbordes today.